Tuesday 28 January 2014

animation or tracing? the art of rotoscoping...

I have recently become familiar with, what I call, the 'Marmite' of animation; rotoscoping. You either love it or hate it. Many people I speak to are of a mixed opinion but there are a few that feel it is a 'no brain activity needed' method and find it 'boring'.

I have never experimented with this technique before although I am very aware of it and mostly love the effects it can produce. There is a strong argument though from the purists of animation to say that it does not fall under the category of animation as it is just merely 'tracing' an image. Although it is created frame by frame. I am not sure if it is a sign or a coincidence but even when i type the work rotoscope...the built-in dictionary for Mac does not recognise it.....instead it is lit up with the silly red line underneath that shouts TYPO!  (Mind you it also didn't recognise the word Marmite, so there is hope yet).

I actually really enjoyed using this technique, and apart form most things I found it relaxing and almost therapeutic. It gave me time to think while 'tediously' drawing each frame, and I felt it allowed my mind to be more creative and free.

The first test I did was literally for about 2 seconds, I had less than 40 odd frames and at 24fps it seemed to take so long for so little in return, time wise of course. The effect i actually really liked. As I was testing out the technique I drew each frame very loose and stayed away from being OCD on detail, and to my delight the results were actually quite nice.



These three images are taken from the rotoscoping test. When I came towards the end of the rotoscoping, it is clear that my drawing technique had loosened up more, and gave the image an even more hand-drawn sketchy feel.

The Rotoscoped footage in Photoshop CS6

The rendered clip as .mov


I have moved on from this and as I enjoyed the technique, even though is takes a painfully long time and causes my little finger to seize up from overuse, I decided to use rotoscoping for my Final Major Project. I will post images as soon as I have some animation (yes I called it animation) to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment